Friday, September 19, 2008

Garden State Parkway Moment

Not a Sarah Palin Moment.

I was driving south down the GSP and just after Exit 143  I was driving in the next to the left lane.  There are a lot of lanes there by the way.

I saw a rather large, old piece of plastic bag (it had browned nicely I think from the traffic and stuff) blowing along the concrete lane barrier.  It floated and traversed the passing cars till it caught on the fender of a cute white car.  I watched this car for several miles as it dragged the plastic and later ejected it.  

The plastic floated past me and I thought I would miss the spectacle forever.  Just another GSP moment.

I take Exit 136 to get to work and what do I see?  Another car passing me taking the same exit (black and not as nice) with the same piece of plastic under the driver side wheel!  

"So cool" I think!  I wondered where this icon of industrial waste is heading and down my path it goes.  The car turned right as I go strait as I choose to be at work on time.  I let my curiosity wane to avoid a possible frown from my boss but I wonder where the plastic ended up?  Did it stay undetected by the driver to return to the their home perhaps in a bucolic part of NJ after the work day? Did the driver annoyed, remove the plastic and toss it in a dumpster headed for the midwest?  

I wondered if I could turn this image into an inspiring blog regarding the political campaign and thought not.  This was just weird enough on it's own and not worth making an analogy to politics.  Just another NJ GSP moment.  

3 comments:

Sbanfnyc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Love it!!! I didn't have any idea you could make such a lyrical piece out of a plastic bag! Hey it reminds me of The Red Balloon or something.

Levi said...

Thanks for leaving your post at my blog.

I read your GSPM (plastic post). I'm sort of glad you didn't try the old piece of browned plastic and compare it to the political campaign. That post *could" have taken a book's worth of analogies.